Though it is not what I did or what my parents did while I am 4 years old, I probably think that reading to a preschooler is a much-needed activity or a routine to bring in. My 4-year-old is as fussy as any 4 year old boy. He loses his attention the next second and does something or the other. So it is apparent that I get his attention to one thing through reading.
The things which I took into consideration before starting reading to him are sorted below. Though it may vary from one child to another. My 4-year-old is as different as any other of his age. There are no scientific considerations to it, these are purely my motherly instincts.
- His interests in animals. My son loves animals and are very much attracted to it in pictures. He makes sounds and enact most of the animals. So I bought books which includes animals as main characters.
- His love for pictures. Colors and pictures attracts him. More the pictures, more he reciprocates.
- His interest in listening to his momma’s narration. Creative narration plays a key role in making a child understand the essence of the story.
- His virtual imagination is developed through reading. My son comes with random stories with random people with no start or end to it.
- He adds new words to his dictionary, thus enhancing his vocabulary; be it be in any language. New words are learned when you read to them. It is such a pleasure to listen to new words for the first time from them.
So these are my thoughts as I read to my 4-year-old son. It is completely what is seen in my son. It need not be the same for every 4 year old. But whatever development we see in our child; we have to be content and find happiness.
Kudos to our munchkins
It has been a super roller coaster ride from week 1 to week 36. There has been relatively different experience compared to baby #1. From the nauseating effect to puking my tongue out, it was indeed not easy. Nonetheless, now being in week 36, the wait continues. As my first kid was born in 36 week of pregnancy, my expectation on baby #2 in 36 week is very high. He/She might come anytime soon, In Sha Allah! Hence, the preparations was all figured and done as early as 31 week.
In fact, the expectation was very high but the prayers continued to be to complete full term of pregnancy. Nevertheless, it is in the hands of the Almighty. This reminds me of the Qura’n verse in Surah Al-Hajj which says,
O People, if you should be in doubt about the Resurrection, then [consider that] indeed, We created you from dust, then from a sperm-drop, then from a clinging clot, and then from a lump of flesh, formed and unformed – that We may show you. And We settle in the wombs whom We will for a specified term, then We bring you out as a child, and then [We develop you] that you may reach your [time of] maturity. And among you is he who is taken in [early] death, and among you is he who is returned to the most decrepit [old] age so that he knows, after [once having] knowledge, nothing. And you see the earth barren, but when We send down upon it rain, it quivers and swells and grows [something] of every beautiful kind.
May Allah grant our prayers in dunya and Akhirah!
Intention of starting a blog is to share my thoughts, opinions and views on any topic which pops in my mind; be it be social issues, on the values I practice, mom related topics or anything which I would like to share.
So look out to this blog from the Compassionate Human and share some love!